About Toastmasters International
Lion City Toastmasters Club
Where Speech Excellence Begins......
The Second Oldest Toastmasters Club in Singapore (Since 1977)
District 80 - Club Number 2086
About Toastmasters Club
Toastmasters International is a non-profit organization governed by a Board of Directors elected by the membership. The first Toastmasters Club was established on October 22, 1924, in Santa Ana, California, by the man who conceived and developed the idea of helping others to speak more effectively, Dr. Ralph C. Smedley
Your success in business is based on how effective you are in your communication skills. Through participation in the Toastmasters Communication and Leadership program, people from all backgrounds learn to effectively speak, conduct a meeting, manage a department or business, lead, delegate, and motivate.
A typical Toastmasters Club meeting usually lasts about two and a half hours and consists of the following:
- A Table Topic session, giving members the opportunity to participate in impromptu speech situations.
- Prepared speeches, based on projects from the Communication and Leadership manuals, from several of the Club members.
- An evaluation session, during which each speaker is provided with valuable feedback regarding the strengths of the speech and recommendations on improving future presentations.
- critique of the evaluations, and of the meeting as a whole, by a general evaluator.
- A short business session, which gives members a chance to practice parliamentary procedure.
Besides speaking, each member will also have the opportunity to serve as Toastmaster, Table Topic Master, Evaluator, General Evaluator, etc. Each assignment is rotated among members to provide a variety of experience.
As your improved communication skills become obvious within the workplace, increased visibility, recognition and promotion will follow. Your improved presentation skills will win you the respect and admiration of your colleagues and employees - and make them wonder what you did to change!
Leadership skills acquired through participation in Toastmasters will increase your management potential. As a Toastmaster you will acquire an increased ability to motivate and persuade, making you more effective as a supervisor or manager.
The best way to find out more is to attend a Toastmasters meeting.